বুধবার, ২৭ ফেব্রুয়ারী, ২০১৩

Are Body and Sex Education Books for Parents, or Kids? - NYTimes ...

?The Care and Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls? has just been updated and reissued, along with a companion book, ?The Care and Keeping of You 2: The Body Book for Older Girls.?

The new books divide topics by age. The pediatrician Cara Natterson, who helped write the update, told the USA Today reporter Michelle Healy that younger girls are given more information about what?s happening to their bodies, while older girls get ?why, and what can I do about it?? Neither book discusses about sex or drugs ? the most controversial thing in the original ?Care and Keeping? was a diagram of how to put in a tampon (now only in the ?older? version). More than three million copies of the book have been sold since it was first published in 1998.

?Girls,? said Dr. Natterson, talking about the strong sales of the earlier edition, ?read it.?

Do girls read it? And what?s more, do boys read the boy versions available? Or do the books sell because well-meaning parents buy them, while the pages go unturned?

In our house, we?re at the beginning of all this ? my oldest boy is 11, and my oldest girl is 8. We own books like the ?American Medical Association Boy?s Guide to Becoming a Teen? and ?On Your Mark, Get Set, Grow!? They sit on the shelves, except when I leave them strategically placed around the house. Because I am an embarrassing parent to have, sometimes I carry them around. I ask things like ?Which of these is better?? and ?Did you see these pictures of different penis shapes??

But when I?m not selling the books, I don?t think my oldest, at least, is buying. The other books in the stack (?It?s So Amazing: A Book About Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies and Families? and ?The Way We Work?) get a lot more use. While ?It?s So Amazing? gets pored over ? the illustrations of the babies inside the mothers never fail to enthrall ? I?ve yet to see any sign that anyone is reading those puberty books other than me. Even when I gave my son an excuse (I asked him to compare the two books for me, and because I have reviewed books and asked for their opinion in the past, that?s a fairly standard assignment around here) and some privacy, he didn?t read for long.

I never expected ?Boy?s Guide to Becoming a Teen? to have the pull of ?The Hunger Games,? nor do I need it to replace the conversations (often one-sided) that we?ve been having all along. I did ? and still do ? hope the books might serve as a reference when something happens that someone is reluctant to ask about. I?m sufficiently convinced that that might yet happen to buy the girl versions and give them to my daughter ? but this time, instead of leaving them lying around, I think we may sit down and turn some pages together, and maybe that?s the best thing to do with my younger son as well.

Have you found books on puberty, bodies and sex that work at your house? Are girls more likely to read than boys? And when do the books work best?


Source: http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/are-body-and-sex-education-books-for-parents-or-kids/

Mark Balelo Real Madrid Vs Manchester United Anne Stringfield KTLA heart attack grill Ash Wednesday 2013 ted nugent

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন